20.4.08

Trailers Anonymous

'Hello My name is Daniel and I love trailers'

I really do. I think it's their simplicity, the facile nature of the two and a half minute relationship. The bombastic promises they make (like every Tom Cruise film will 'change your world') and the way in which they satisfy all your cinematic needs in moments.
I've tried to sort through my addiction, I even considered doing my thesis on trailers as a form of therapy but I'm still absurdly drawn to them. Consider an example; Timur Bekmambetov's latest film Wanted.


Now I've seen the director's previous films (Nightwatch and Daywatch) and I found them wholly confusing and underwhelming. And yet, addict that I am, I'm absurdly excited by the trailer for Wanted. I'm like some kind of pathological goldfish, coming to each film with renewed hope no matter how many times I've been disappointed. And I blame the trailers.
The main problem, probably obvious to everyone else out there, is that being able to make a good trailer just means you have two minutes of good footage. With editing and, perhaps more importantly, music any film can be made to seem good. Case in point, the Matrix Revoloutions has a pretty good trailer and is one of the worst (or at least, most disappointing) films ever made. I suppose all this really means is that the advertising companies are doing thier jobs - flashy and well edited trailers makes thousands of idiots like me spend money on their films.
It's opium for the masses...

No comments: