23.5.08

Not for MeTube

After many months being unsatisfied with the quality of video on YouTube I decided to have a look at some other sites offering higher quality video. Given that the vast majority of YouTube video is still at a paltry 320x240 resolution even the move to 640x480 (equivalent to VGA - do you remember that? I remember getting my first VGA capable monitor... God, I feel old) is a revelation. And given that some of these sites can now easily stream proper HD video (720p) there's really no reason to have substandard, blurry to the point of impressionism videos on the internet.

Of course the major issue is speed. On my 1 meg connection I can certainly see a difference in load times as I've embedded more high quality vids. And the increase in time needed to upload these videos in the first place is also an consideration.

No comments: